Welcome to the Sisters of St. Martha of Prince Edward Island, newest members of the Sisters of Charity Federation! Watch congregational leader Sister Rosemary MacDonald, CSM-PEI, talk about the importance of being part of the shared connection of the Sisters of Charity Federation.
As the only Island-born religious Congregation, the Sisters of St. Martha of Prince Edward Island, Canada, was given birth by Bishop Henry O’Leary on July 17, 1916. Being ‘a man of vision’ he saw that the work of the church required expansion in social, educational and spiritual ways. Immediately, with the blessing and support of the Island Clergy he began recruiting interested lay women and soon the community of his dream was budding. Within the year four Island women left PEI to begin formal training with the Sisters of St. Martha of Antigonish.
Upon their return to Island soil it seemed an established blessing as more women heard the call to serve as teachers, nurses, home makers, administrators, and social workers in the new founded community. The Sisters of St. Martha were pioneers in the field of education, health care and social services.
Today the Marthas serve in Gospel love and service to the global community and are engaged in varied ministries including spirituality programs, spiritual direction and retreats, ministry to the poor, addiction services, prison ministry, pastoral care, parish ministry, education, ecological justice, social justice advocacy and ministry to Indigenous peoples. Sisters are currently serving in Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. The Marthas are committed to living their charism of simplicity, attentiveness and hospitality as they serve the church in these challenging times.
Pictured below is the new PEI leadership team that will be installed in office on July 29th – the Feast of St. Martha.